I decided to create this blogspot to share with others stories of my life experiences. I consider them to be pertinent as they are my life, they are what I am, who I am. I have considered writing a book. Maybe not, maybe this will allow me to share memories without pressures of what comes next. As I have tended to live my life without much structure, mostly to react to stimuli, as they say. These pages will come as they come back to me, as they strike, I will write. I can also be a bit of a storyteller as the mood hits me. Maybe some things here won't agree with you, but at least you'll get to know me and isn't that why you are here?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mom's Memorial Ride, Part IV The ride home... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The next morning, instead of going back into the city for even more festivities, I decided it was time to start back. As I was riding along, with my mind on other things, it occurred to me that to be in that part of the country on Memorial weekend, well, I should have been paying more attention. What I realized is that these mountains here in Virginia, where this magnificent country had begun, well, what had these mountains witnessed? They had looked down from their blue-hued, misty morning peaks to witness the birth of a nation. These farm houses and barns, what had they seen? Did they provide shelter, or maybe protection, cover? Did one or more of those rag-tag bunch of colonial soldiers, hide there, behind that very barn, waiting with uncertainty, perhaps a bit of fear? Waiting for a well trained, well dressed, well fed group of red coated British soldiers? Around a century later, did those hills watch in horror, as a war that pitted some of the very families that lived in these farm houses, fired upon each other? Brother against brother, fathers against sons. Family against family, struggling with the growing pains of a young nation in peril of splitting at the seams. Did they see many of their own, barely into the next century, heading off to yet another war. This time far away, in an unknown land. Called the war to end war. Making the sacrifice in order to stop one from overtaking another as uneasy alliances between neighboring nations caused exaggerated pushing and shoving, resulting in the deaths of perhaps 70 million soldiers. Were those beautiful mountains aware of yet another time, within a few decades, when once again, almost every developed nation in the world took sides and fought in huge and tragic conflicts resulting in the realization of anti-semitism and absolute destruction involving the use of nuclear power for the first and hopefully last time. The horrible loss of 24,000 soldiers in one day on the beaches of Normandy. There have been other wars or conflicts since that time, that the people of this area were called up or even volunteerd to be a part of. These hills have seen it all. The pride of a nation made stronger by the fact that it's people are willing to defend not only this country, but others that have been abused worldwide by those that would not desire their people to know the freedoms we hold dear. I was also reminded during this part of the trip, as various songs filled my head that one was becoming ever so clear to me. In the eighth grade, I believe, my english teacher gave us somewhat of a project. We were to listen to a song and try to interprete what the author was saying to listeners. At the time, I did poorly, I couldn't imagine, it seemed to make sense, but, my youthful mind couldn't follow. After the events of the previous day, maybe now, I realize more than ever what is meant by, "he ain't heavy, he's my brother". Once through that area, as again I traveled the land that I knew so well, from several years of driving a truck. Moving passed places that I had delivered to and wondering about some of the people I'd met, some of which I'm sure are no longer with us. I was happy to be back in the home of my friends. It seemed such a treat. After so long not seeing them, to get the opportunity to spend time with them on both sides of the trip was warm and comforting, right in the middle of a trip that was at times, arduous. I was thrilled to present my friend with the flag that I had those others sign. He seemed truly greatful of my idea and I was proud that I had been able to do it. Once again, these people know only service to others and it was special that I was able to do something nice for him. The morning came quick and I was up at 4:30, pacing the floor. I was ready for the trip home and I'd make it today. Readying myself for a long, warm day had made me anxious to get started. Not wanting to set off the alarm, I could only look out the window and the ol girl and watch her squirm and make those noises that made me think of R2D2. Sorry my dear friend, no breakfast this morning, thanks so much for making the trip so memorable. This was also a bit of an epipheny for me. As I was discussing my departure with my friends, I didn't know until I said it. I told her that being so anxious to leave the home of such wonderful people, made me realize that I could never leave Oklahoma. At that moment, I discovered something I don't believe I've ever known. Homesick. Never been homesick, always wanted to be whereever I'm not...... Once again, I left and moved through those hills of north Alabama. On a cool and fresh smelling morning, made so by the cleansing of the previous afternoon showers. And again, the beauty of the green and misty mountains led me along, this time on new roads. New to me, set me to question regarding the path less traveled. Does it specify the road with less visitors or the road that I've never discovered? I rode up through the backroads of north-west Alabama. Went by the small and large farms and ranches, into and out of the small towns. It could have been many places, for in this country, well....that's what makes this country. The people that live here and there. Small town folks, making it the best that they can. Not able to rely on the big companies and the many places to do business and work that exemplify larger towns and cities. Always seemed special people to me, that's why I have lived mostly in small towns, worth the drive. I did go by some large manufactoring type plants, with their huge buildings, practically a city within walls. I have no beef with that, at all. They do create jobs that support many and can positively impact the area. Was actually good to see them so busy. I went into Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Much, much bigger than I ever thought. And up into a beautiful town of Florence and thought it was one of the nicest bigger towns I'd ever had the pleasure of riding through. Unfortunately, it was too far north, so after discussing the fact with a local firefighter, never met one I didn't like, I was back on my way. Set back on the right path, I moved out of Alabama into Mississippi. Taking the long way home has seemed to be the way of it for me. I love to travel and I love to be home afterwards, but this time it did have that ring to it. I did finally get to a major destination for the day, Memphis, Tennessee. Back to interstate. I've stated more than once, everytime I leave Oklahoma, I get spanked when I return. I knew it was going to rain, always does, every time. But the surprise was in crossing the Mississippi. Now that song that Charlie Pride sings, will move me to feel and little twinge of homesickness when I hear it, not sure why. But on that bridge, I felt it. That Oklahoma breeze made me think that I was going to go swimming with my motorcycle if I didn't get across as quickly as possible. Once on the other side the wind kept up and I could see the clouds not so far away. Was Arkansas going to get into the act? Did Oklahoma call ahead, knowing I was coming that way? The road does things to your head, haha. Not long after getting into Arkansas, it hit. Right there, just after the Wynne exit, the traffic stopped again. More roadwork, typical on interstates. Especially seems like I-40 has more than it's share. That's where the stopped traffic collided with the storm. The officer had pushed us into one lane and then left, to avoid the storm? The wind was shaking the big rig in front of me and flattening out the trees that lined the highway. It was also making my life difficult, while attempting to lay my motorcycle over. The sky had turned into night and the rain was worse than I've ever had to endure from the outside in many years. I was reminded that in storms like this, while I was in the Air Force, the dogs would be taken inside.....not us....the dogs, we stayed out, yea yea, cheer for the Air Force. The rain was just pouring off the top of that truck and when we did get to move, maybe the length of that truck before we stopped again, I would move over and let my lights shine up the side toward the driver's mirror so he'd know where I was. I didn't want to be rolled over while I was trying to protect myself from such wind and rain by hugging the back of that thing. Note of interest, while I was standing there, doing my best to stay upright, it occurred to me that my friend had told me, "if you run into rain, you park that thing for a bit". I was greatful for his concern, but neither of us had any idea that this storm would manifest itself while I was stopped in traffic with no exit, no bridge, nothing. I do have good leather, the last storm I went through had proved that I want leather more than a rainsuit, but it does get stiff while it's drying. And yes, I was wearing that same leather when the storm passed and the state of Arkansas allowed passage into the warm drying sun. Another note, I did drive up and pass that truck and made an attempt to salute the driver for his patience and protection, thinking he was unhappy with that because he didn't respond. I'm sure it's a nervy thing to have someone on you like that, that you can't see most of the time. You know they are there, but not sure where exactly. Crossing into Oklahoma told me that my journey was coming to a close. It had been the best trip I had ever been on. I didn't get to see everyone or do everything I would have liked to, but, it was a trip that I'll not soon forget. I had been on a mission. I didn't do much while in the service to honor myself or anyone else, but in the last couple of years, I am making an effort to at least show others I truly appreciate the sacrifices they have made. In order to make and keep this beloved nation at the top of the heap in a very short time, as nations go, we all have relied heavily on those willing to put themselves in harm's way. Regardless of your feelings on this, I believe we have had a loving God that has done much to help us, even with the foolish behavior of many, including myself. But I hope that my writing will help others to realize that these trips are more than an opportunity for me to ride my bike, which I enjoy. Just the fact that it is a sacrifice that I'm willing to make. It's in the memory of my departed mother and my ex-brother in law and many, many others that before me and after me have done whatever it took to keep this thing together. In spite of out differences, we do manage to find enough common ground to make it work and to keep this beautiful nation the absolute greatest ever on the planet. I hope that you and yours had a great Memorial weekend and that you took time to contemplate the reason we celebrate our heroes, both military and the others that are involved in our emergency services nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment