I decided to create this blogspot to share with others stories of my life experiences. I consider them to be pertinent as they are my life, they are what I am, who I am. I have considered writing a book. Maybe not, maybe this will allow me to share memories without pressures of what comes next. As I have tended to live my life without much structure, mostly to react to stimuli, as they say. These pages will come as they come back to me, as they strike, I will write. I can also be a bit of a storyteller as the mood hits me. Maybe some things here won't agree with you, but at least you'll get to know me and isn't that why you are here?

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mom's Memorial Ride Part II My homeland... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ As I left the center of Mississippi and headed up into the great state of Alabama, I was struck with a whole new set of emotions. It is there that I reconnected with a dear friend of mine. I have stated many times that being a friend of mine....tends to benefit me, nowhere could that be more prevalent. I met these folks while I was working as a pest control technician some years ago, we came up with 15 years ago. From the start, he proved to be a special person. He is plagued with the, to say the least, destabilizing menace of multiple sclerosis. He was in VietNam in what could be called the early years, starting in 1967. A Marine through and through. Tougher than nails with unmatched intestinal fortitude. Instead of MS taking him down, he uplifts others. He truly knows nothing but service to others. His wife is his care taker. She is the perfect compliment to him. Between the two of them there is a crew of people working to make things easier for all they know. Gushing, maybe, but those fortunate enough to know them, know. I, of course got to a point where I knew that my search for their home was fruitless. And as I expected, she says, "stay put, I'll come get you". After being there for a bit, I learned something I should've known, it was her birthday. She fussed and cooked good healthy meals for us, asking me before my trip what my dietetic needs were as I'm diabetic with high blood pressure. Not only is this the wonderful wife of my dear friend, she is my dear friend. Their home is way back in the way back. It was truly an impossibility that I would've "happened" upon that house. While I was there, she was working on a project for the Marine Corps League. Been working on this event for about a year, by herself, with only the commandant assisting by making changes. Along with keeping the house tidy, cooking meals, watching after my friend and numerous other chores around the house, inside and out, now she has me. Won't forget the comment about taking care of her "boys". I have a wonderful memory of one of the best Thanksgiving days I've ever had. He managed to build a fire under a large black pot in the front yard. Filled with oil, he placed a turkey into the pot and made it likely the best bird I've ever had. They had every service that the pest control company I worked for had. Taking full advantage of all offers presented. And quickly, turned from customer to friend. Even now with all they do, they volunteer to keep up with four Marine graves. Keeping them clear and decorated with personally arranged flowers. It's easy to imagine that they would be good friends. The love that they have for God and Country is shared with all they know. Upon leaving the home of my friends, I drove through an area special to me. The northeastern part of Alabama, specifically Jackson County, is where my dad was born. Driving through I recall the time I spent delivering building materials for a company in Georgia that took me through the area, so I know it well. I've also done research on the area and know that I have relatives here that I've never met. There is a Vincent Manning that is running for Probate Judge in Jackson County that may be a relative. A few decades ago, I was looking into the prospect of leasing land for a hunting club that some friends were wanting to start and my wife called and found out it was Mannings that owned the property. Recently I have been thinking about a "layoff plan". In the event that the company I work for decides to layoff again, I want to have a plan to fall back on. My thinking has been that the prospects for a job for someone over 55 in this country, with this economy....well, it's not so cheery. That's why my plan consists of auctioning off everything. Taking the money and heading for a totally different lifestyle. Since it would be in the middle of many things important to me, family, friends and would contain many things that could become important to me, fishing, semi-retirement, Mobile, Alabama seems logical. I have a tattoo on my calf that is sort of a parody. It has the letters, A W T on it, standing for Alabama White Trash. Sort of an inside joke. Recently even my granddaughter got into the plan by suggesting that I take my tattoo home. The ride when I left my friends' house heading for my ultimate destination of Washington, D.C. was with mixed emotions. I hated to leave my friends, hadn't seen them in almost a decade. Also, with a perfect spring morning and the feeling of driving through my homeland, I was cruising through the mountains, cool and misty, and once again I was smacked with the notion that I should stay. I truly love my adopted home in the great state of Oklahoma. I am married to a woman that I feel truly cares for me, more so than any others that I've been involved with. I have enjoyed the best standard of living that I've ever had. I have the best job ever. I have had the good fortune of actually having the motorcycle of many a persons dreams, paid off. And I've learned many lessons and there are many ways that I have changed for the better since I've been here. It would be no small matter. It requires more consideration than most decisions I've made. I'm bad to make snap judgements and to just jump. Leap before looking, so to speak. This time is very different. Some folks would think it a no brainer. Everything points to making the choice to go. But the logistics of such a move and the ultimate emotional and financial toll would only be known in time. I'm not a kid now. I tell myself, even as my mom pushes from the great beyond, that it's different now.

No comments:

Post a Comment