I decided to create this blogspot to share with others stories of my life experiences. I consider them to be pertinent as they are my life, they are what I am, who I am. I have considered writing a book. Maybe not, maybe this will allow me to share memories without pressures of what comes next. As I have tended to live my life without much structure, mostly to react to stimuli, as they say. These pages will come as they come back to me, as they strike, I will write. I can also be a bit of a storyteller as the mood hits me. Maybe some things here won't agree with you, but at least you'll get to know me and isn't that why you are here?

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happiness Is Fleeting?

I know, I know, that ain't the quote.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But I'll say it again, happiness is fleeting.
Alot of people believe that. But what about the person who carries it with them?

Years ago there was this "squid" as they called them then. He fell in love and married a woman who was pregnant, not his. She delivered a wonderful baby girl and the couple had three more, two more beautiful girls and a fine son. As happens in this world, the couple fell apart. The children still quite devoted to them both. As time went on, this good man ran across an old (not in years) friend, also divorced with four mostly grown children of her own. The two had felt that it was the long friendship that had passed the test of time that had brought them together. Funny enough, she even asked me for my thoughts on the issue of marriage. I only knew good things about him. One test is to discover how those kids felt about him. They love him dearly. What's the question? Will he be good to her, no one doubted. Will he take care of her, no one doubted. Will he love her, no one doubted. What no one could have known, was the total effect he would have on every one in the family. He would set the bar to an unreachable height. Surely no one could challenge his affection for not just her but for the new addition to the family. Her children would only end up with a taste of what his own children had grown up with. Is he perfect, nah, maybe. Does he do everything right, surely not, maybe. Does he epitomize........Dad? Yes. How could we have imagined how happy, fufilled and....and ....spoiled our mother could be? You have a problem with a man loving another man? Forget you. I love this man for many other reasons than the fact that he made my mothers' last 27 years a fairytale existence. Where as far as I was aware, she was the happiest that she had ever desired. He raised our baby sister and turned her into the loving person she is now. Perfect, maybe not, but.......with a heart of gold. And the rest of us, already out of the house, had our own lives touched by the tall, thin man, with the soft, quiet way of penetrating your heart that is just........his way. If he ever said no......it was hard to realize........because he always has a way of making things right. There is no way to repay, the gift he has been. We can only hope to pay it forward, to others that we touch. To always give without thought of recompense, to give because........... To always give, maybe not what is requested, but to give what is needed, what is right. I could go on and on. Suffice it to say, I love you Pa and I only wish that I could touch the gift that you are.
Happy Valentine's Day to the man I love and respect above all others.
And.......thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment