I decided to create this blogspot to share with others stories of my life experiences. I consider them to be pertinent as they are my life, they are what I am, who I am. I have considered writing a book. Maybe not, maybe this will allow me to share memories without pressures of what comes next. As I have tended to live my life without much structure, mostly to react to stimuli, as they say. These pages will come as they come back to me, as they strike, I will write. I can also be a bit of a storyteller as the mood hits me. Maybe some things here won't agree with you, but at least you'll get to know me and isn't that why you are here?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Adventure Bob's" last ride.

They say you never forget your first time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been told, everybody dies, but not everybody lives.
He earned his silver dolphins back in the early '50's. After serving in the Korean Conflict he went to college. He graduated in 1959 with a degree in petroleum and natural gas engineering. In 1975, he started Natural Gas Operations Co., dealing with local, independent natural gas producers.
At the age of 68, his love of motorcycles led him to start Adventure Motorsports. His knowledge of history helped him to lead several motorcycle expeditions across the old west. He explored the Oregon Trail from Missouri to Oregon. His travels included the Lewis and Clark Trail, some old stagecoach routes and the area surrounding Judge Roy Bean's saloon. He also covered the route from the book "Lonesome Dove" and the "Black Hills" and the site of Custer's Last Stand, along with Utah's Monument Valley.
Knowing this, I was not surprised when I heard "Chief" exclaim, "No way Bob's riding in a cage today!"
We lined up in a staggered formation, with Bob riding with "Chief" on the trike. Not a large group, 22 bikes plus the trike, and even had a 14 year old on a 250cc. Hey it's 50 miles, if he wants to ride, well, nobody objected. We left out from downtown Duncan with Officer Riley leading the way, lights flashing and sirens at all the crossroads, with another of Duncan's finest ahead blocking traffic for us. Out to the highway and north all the way through Duncan to the city limit sign, where an officer from Marlow took over and led the way into and through town out to the Grady County Line. And thanks to Grady County and to the Rush Springs City Police Department, we made it fine........ without you........again. Jay took over point position and you could tell, with the "Chief" organizing and Jay out front, it was going to be fine. We left highway 81 north and headed west on highway 17. Going out across the western part of Grady County, the long sweeping curves and lightly rolling hills. There had been some mention of rain, but it was said that "Bob, would've said, hey, suck it up and let's ride." But the motorcycle gods were with us this day, the sun out warm and bright, the beautiful blue sky with those huge cotton candy clouds. Boy, Bob sure had a great day to ride.
Out of Grady County into the flatter Comanche County, turning golden with the summer sun. Going through Sterling, the lone officer there was noticed in his car, switching the phone to his other ear. I suppose we made too much noise going through town. Further west as we approached Elgin, we were passed by a police cruiser headed eastward, but a few minutes later, here he came, lights flashing, siren wailing. Great, a collective thought, we are all going to be pulled over. Not so, it was an Elgin cruiser headed to relieve Jay at the front. He lead us into and through Elgin and out to the Fort Sill National Cemetery. Where, at the last turn, he pulled the car out blocking east bound traffic and pulled his hat over his heart as we rode by. Now, once inside we rode around what used to be a gently rolling field that was faced to the west by the old Wichita Mountains and the new windfarm.
We had maybe a dozen people with flags surrounding the small pavilion. Everyone watched intently and reverently as the Navy Honor Guard unfolded the flag and Taps was played. If that doesn't touch you, you are the one that's dead. And when the Honor Guard refolded the flag and presented it to the widow, "from the United States Navy in appreciation for his honorable service to his country." Well.... that'll get you too.
It was my first mission, as they call them, with my new friends, the Patriot Guard Riders. It won't be my last. I don't really think it was Bob's last either. Something inside tells me, he is riding hard and fast, in territory more beautiful than we did today. He has shared handshakes and hugs with his old unit and with family and friends that have gone on before. And now has the rest of eternity to follow his passions.
Yea, that's heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Another great one, Bro. Keep um coming. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read something so beautiful. I feel as if I am repeating myself with these posts, and my words seem to pale in comparison to your writings. But again...I am left with so many thoughts...and am so happy to be able to indulge...

    ReplyDelete