I decided to create this blogspot to share with others stories of my life experiences. I consider them to be pertinent as they are my life, they are what I am, who I am. I have considered writing a book. Maybe not, maybe this will allow me to share memories without pressures of what comes next. As I have tended to live my life without much structure, mostly to react to stimuli, as they say. These pages will come as they come back to me, as they strike, I will write. I can also be a bit of a storyteller as the mood hits me. Maybe some things here won't agree with you, but at least you'll get to know me and isn't that why you are here?

Saturday, May 22, 2010

MS WALK

Took a walk today, for a friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went for a walk today, it was a walk for Multiple Sclerosis. It was small, no where near the walk in Atlanta today. But the small crowd, celebrating the first annual walk in Ardmore, Oklahoma, did manage to come up with over $10,000. I was proud, I didn't raise all that much, but I'm happy for what I did raise and in supporting me, my friends helped me support another friend.
After registering, we talked with some of the volunteers and I'm not sure I should brag, but I did answer 4 of the 7 questions regarding MS on the quiz correctly. Hope you don't think less of me for that.
Just before the walk began, there was an invocation given by one of the local pastors. The boy scout troop held up the American Flag while everyone recited the Pledge of Allegiance. Once that was done, a young lady sang the National Anthem and did a pretty good job of it, followed by cheers. During those observances, it was mostly quiet, with what I considered to be proper respect. These Okies, they love it here almost as much as I do. :)
Then the walk started. It wasn't bad. There is a wide concrete surface that only had one good dip before the closest thing to a hill to climb came up. We and the others chatted as we walked down the tree lined path through the woods. Of course, Cathy had to speak to all the dogs on the way. We took a few pictures, tempermental cameras, hmmmp. And also, I guess you can't have this time of gathering without some kid, probably on the cross country team, shooting past everyone and the old man who feels kind of bad about being in the way. Then there are the small groups of supporters, shouting encouragement and appreciation to the walkers along the way. At the halfway point, there was the rest station, refreshment stand, AND the challenge of a longer walk. Another path led off to a longer walk for........the...younger folks. And at the end, another group of well wishers, waving pom poms and shouting "You made it!" and "Thank you!" , while yet another group was giving out the medals for the finishers. No, I'm not done. As you walk up and out toward the pavilion, the Antique Tractor Club had a tractor with the pto hooked up to a belt hooked up to an old fashioned ice cream churn. Uh...yea..it was good.
Ok, one last story. In addition to the signed headband I wore to show I was walking for my champion who is battling MS, I wore my So You Can Sleep t shirt. A guy walked up to me and said "tell your son in law, thanks for serving." I told him, I do, to which he responded, "no, tell him coming from a total stranger in Ardmore, Oklahoma, thanks for serving." I told him I would and that I was walking for two of my heroes.
So it was a good time and we did make our goal. What's next? Well I did sign up for a diabetes motorcycle ride in Witchita, Ks. for July and maybe a diabetes volunteer in OKC for October and I'm still thinking about the Patriot Guard Riders. Damn, Dennis, what have you done to me brother? Love you man.

2 comments:

  1. I have done nothing that isn't there. I love you Brother and I thank you as many people do. Well done my friend!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete